The government established Fenglin Veterans T.B. Hospice on July 1st, 1957 for military personnel or veterans afflicted with diseases to be given proper medical treatment so that they could soon return to society as productive members. The hospital’s management was entrusted to the Department of Health.
On July 1st, 1958 the hospital was transferred under the direct jurisdiction of the County Commission. The hospital's physical conditions had deteriorated a lot at that time, but thanks to the hard work of the entire hospital staff, it has now become a high-quality local general hospital after forty years.
The hospital initially had very humble looking structures on 6.784 hectares of land. After years of renovation, its total area has grown to 9.8989 hectares. It has a modern design and the latest medical equipment, meets environmental protection standards, and has passed the evaluation of the Department of Health. It is considered one of the medical network hospitals.
Since 1994, we have added 10 new divisions and 6 offices (Medical Division, Surgery Division, Pediatrics Division, Obstetrics and Gynecology Division, Dentistry Division, Rehabilitation Division, Radiology Division, Laboratory Division, Pharmacy Division, Nursing Division, and Medical Administration Office, Secretariat, Social Work Training Department, Personnel Office, Accounting Office, and Civil Service Ethics Office).
We immediately implemented the National Health Insurance program when it was put into effect on March 1st, 1995.
Moreover, we followed the instructions of the Commission on May 24th, 1986 to open Veterans Clinic in Taitung City's Veteran Services Department, which started operations on February 1st, 1989.
We followed the Executive Yuan's instructions on June 29th, 1990 to open a Taitung branch, located in the newly established medical building (with 40 general hospital beds) next to Taitung City Veterans Service Department.
The construction was completed in at the end of 1993, and the former chief commissioner, General Shi-Bing Zhou and Legislative Commissioner, Ying-Chi Rao, officiated at the opening ceremony on January 23rd, 1994.
It initially included ten divisions: Medical, Surgery, Pharmacy, Examination, Nursing, Medical Service,
Environmental Protection, Social Work, and Administration, plus the Hospital Ward that had 100 beds. The eventual addition of the Gynecology, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, and Dentistry Divisions that further made it into a complete and, comprehensive local hospital.
It strengthenssthe medical resources of Taitung and effectively meets the medical needs of veterans. We now hope to do the same in remote areas. We have a big responsibility and need to push ourselves in order to fully utilize what we have learned and meet the demands of the public.
We need to uphold our hospital's spirit of "seek improvement in difficult times and seek success in bitter times" and do our very best to make our hospital a modern, local general hospital.
We endeavor to serve veterans, improve our service attitude, raise standards in medical care, and express love and patience always. We wish the entire staff can keep this mind and not fail the original purpose of the establishment of this hospital.